Each year, humane organizations across the country recognize the important role that animals play in our lives. The month of May has been designated as “Be Kind to Animals Month” which is aimed at raising awareness of animal welfare issues and celebrating the unique human-pet bond.
Naturally, animals should be appreciated every day and every month, but during the month of May, SPCAs and humane societies are encouraging people to take a little extra time to recognize all that animals mean to them and exploring possible ways to give back. Here are five ideas to say “thank you” to the pets and animals in your life that bring you so much joy and happiness.
- Depending on your living quarters, this might be a good month to consider becoming a foster parent to an animal in need. When opening your home, this also frees up space in shelters for other animals.
- If you suspect an animal is in distress, report the situation immediately by calling the toll-free Animal Cruelty Reporting Hotline at 1-855-622-7722.
- When shopping for eggs, meat or dairy products look for the SPCA Certified red barn logo. This logo represents that the animals were raised to a higher standard of animal welfare and the establishments became certified by the SPCA.
- Stay informed on animal welfare issues and write to government representatives when needed to encourage legislation that creates safe, humane communities for animals and people.
- This should be a no-brainer- remember to care for your pets. One of the biggest things you can do is simply take some extra time to care for and appreciate the animals you already love.
Below are a few enjoyable book titles that center around the human-animal bond that can be borrowed from the Bellevue University Library for three weeks.
Dewey: The small town library cat who touched the world by Vicki Myron SF445.5.M97 2008
A fistful of collars: A Chet and Bernie Mystery by Spencer Quinn PS3617.U584 F57 2012
Living with animals: Bonds across species. Natalie Porter & Ilana Gershon (2018). (E-Book)
The Art of Racing in the rain by Garth Stein PS3569.T3655 A88 2009