Whatever your mood, there is a snack for you! They can satisfy cravings, help you watch your weight, boost your metabolism, and even help you deal with sadness. So, let’s take advantage of National Snack Food Month in February. Hoard your favorite snacks and munch away. Snacking doesn’t always have to be unhealthy. In fact, it can be a great way to eat more proteins, fiber, and fruits — thereby helping your body stay in shape. Happy snacking!
In 1989, a MBA graduate came up with a great idea to increase snack sales in the slow month of February. According to the Snack Food Association (SFA) the idea of the month long munch-fest was to increase consumption and build awareness of snacks during a month when snack food consumption was traditionally low. The result has been a substantial increase in snack food sales during this month. The promotion kicks off on Super Bowl Sunday and publicity is generated throughout the month of February. Their idea has stuck because we can’t watch the Super Bowl without thinking what we are going to eat during the game.
WHY WE LOVE NATIONAL SNACK FOOD MONTH
- We are a nation of snackers Yes, we all snack. While some of us pick healthy foods, many of us are guilty of indulging. But this month — who’s judging?
- The choices are endless Snacks come in all shapes, sizes, and flavors. Snacks can be healthy or your guilty pleasure. You just need to take your pick.
- Snacking can be healthy Choose fruit, an energy bar, or low fat yogurt as your in-between meal and your body will thank you. A great resource full of ideas for healthy snacking is over at the Snack-Girl blog.
If you need some help in finding some healthy snacking options, the articles below are sure to get you started in the right direction:
- 50 Healthy Snack Ideas to Keep You Slim
- 121 Best Healthy Snack Ideas That are Easy & Delicious
- 29 Healthy Snacks That Can Help You Lose Weight
- 10 Best Healthy Snacks, According to Dietitians
We also have some cookbooks that you can check out to find some wonderful and healthy snacks.
- Healthyish: A Cookbook with Seriously Satisfying, Truly Simple, Good-For-You (But Not Too Good-For-You) Recipes For Real Life TX714 .H857 2017
- Ovenless Desserts : Over 100 Delicious No-Bake Recipes for the Perfect Cakes, Ice Creams, Chocolates, Pies, and More TX773 .F386 2018
- The Athlete’s Palate Cookbook : Renowned Chefs, Delicious Dishes, and the Art of Fueling Up While Eating Well TX361 .A8 L44 2010
- The Blue Apron Cookbook : 165 Essential Recipes & Lessons for a Lifetime of Home Cooking TX714 .B5768 2017
- The Three Ingredient Cookbook: 200 Quick and Easy, Low-Cost Recipes TX833.5 .W45 2017
- The Ultimate Ketogenic Cookbook: 100 Low-Carb, High-Fat Paleo Recipes for Easy Weight Loss and Optimum Health RM222.2 .S26 2018