Healthy Aging month was first introduced when baby boomers were about to turn 50 but is geared to adults ages 45-plus. Carol Worthington is the creator of September is Healthy Aging Month and is the editor-in-chief of Healthy Aging Magazine. Health Aging Month encourages you to act how you feel instead of acting your age! It is all about the positive aspects of growing old. Seniors should take charge of their well-being, by aging with a healthy body (physical health) and a healthy mind (mental health). Healthy aging affects different body parts such as eyes, skin, organs, etc.
You can check a variety of websites and blogs, etc. for ways to age healthy. Here are some suggestions:
- Get moving – whether it is starting an exercise routine, walking more, hiking or doing exercises that challenge leg strength and balance.
- Stay social – meeting with family each week and mixing with a positive crowd.
- Maintain a healthy diet – eat foods that give you natural energy like spinach, beans, and dried fruit. Eat high fiber foods for digestive and heart health. Try cooking with new herbs and spices.
- Stay in balance – meaning to find a balance between both your mind and body. Physically, maintain balance and agility through yoga and tai chi. Exercise the mind through games and puzzles. Help your memory by making lists, following routines, slowing down and organizing.
- Sleep well!
- Stay healthy by getting regular check-ups and yearly physicals. Get your eyes, hearing and blood pressure checked. Stay up-to-date on immunizations and health screenings. Protect your skin from the sun to prevent skin cancer. Wear shoes with good support to reduce the risk of falling.
- Do something new by making a brainstorm wish list and doing at least one thing on the list, like taking classes, interning or volunteering. Practice something challenging like learning a new language, playing a challenging puzzle game or travel.
- Maintain a proactive approach by keeping a positive attitude, don’t act your age, try something new, embrace your creativity and surround yourself with positivity.
The most important one is to be positive and don’t act your age.
I found this quote “The greatest wealth is health” from https://commhealthcare.com/september-healthy-aging-month/.
You can visit HealthyAging.net for even more wonderful suggestion and ideas on Healthy Aging!