Nebraska became the 37th state on March 1, 1867. The capitol was originally in Omaha on the present site of Central High School, but was soon moved West, to Lancaster, later renamed Lincoln after the recently assassinated President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. Nebraska means “flat water” and is an Otoe Indian term referring to the Platte River that flows through the state. The state motto is “Equality Before the Law”
Here is a list of state symbols:
- Bird: Western Meadowlark
- Flower: Goldenrod
- Gem: Blue Chalcedoney, commonly called blue agate
- Grass: Little Bluestem
- Tree: Cottonwood
- Fossil: Mammoth
- Rock: Prairie Agate
- Mammal: Whitetail Deer
- Insect: Honeybee
- Fish: Channel Catfish
Some fun facts about Nebraska from Nebraska Facts and Trivia :
Nebraska is the only state in the United States with a unicameral legislature (meaning a single legislative chamber). All other states have a bicameral legislature (house and senate).
Nebraska was once called “The Great American Desert.”
J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day in Nebraska City in 1872.
Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state.
The famous architect, Edward Durrell Stone, designed the Stuhr Museum near Grand Island, Nebraska.
If you have never been to Nebraska here are just a few tourist attractions you need to see:
- Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Zoo and aquarium in Omaha.
- Durham Museum: History museum in Omaha. We have a pass for this.
- Fun-Plex: Amusement park in Omaha.
- The Rose Theater: Performing arts theater in Omaha.
- Joslyn Art Museum: Art museum in Omaha.
- Lauritzen Gardens: Botanical garden in Omaha. We have a pass for this.
- Omaha Children’s Museum: Children’s museum in Omaha.
- The Amazing Pizza Machine: Amusement center in Omaha.
- Carhenge: Replica of England’s Stonehenge using cars, located in Alliance.
- Indian Cave State Park: State Park in Shubert.
- The Old Market: Neighborhood in downtown Omaha.
- Joslyn Castle: Mansion in central Omaha.
- Lincoln Children’s Zoo: In Lincoln.
- Nebraska State Capitol: State capitol building in Lincoln.
- Ashfall Fossil Beds: State park in Royal.
- Holland Performing Arts Center: Performing arts theater in Omaha.
- Niobrara State Park: State park in Niobrara.
- Strategic Air and Space Museum: Aviation and space museum in Ashland.
Nebraska Facts and Trivia https://www.50states.com/facts/nebraska.htm
Nebraska Facts https://state.1keydata.com/nebraska.php