In this uncertain time of lockdowns and social distancing, the best way to see the world is by taking a much-needed virtual vacation! National Virtual Vacation Day falls annually on March 30, and celebrates the rise of technology that can help you see the world from the comfort of your home. Internet, augmented and virtual reality headsets, and online exhibitions all can help you travel the world at the click of a button.
This holiday is relatively new, having been started by the travel blog Terrance Talks Travel in 2016. This March, this day takes on extra meaning as travel to much of the world is grounded due to the COVID-19 outbreak. In celebration of National Virtual Vacation Day, here are a few virtual vacations you can do from the comfort of your own home:
- Take an online tour of exhibits at the Louvre in Paris
- Watch live webcams from around the world, including:
- Use Google Earth to explore National Parks in Alaska, Hawaii, Utah, Florida, and more
- Learn about obscure, weird, and off the beaten path travel destinations at Atlas Obscura
- Take a virtual stroll through cities around the world in ultra-high definition on YouTube
If you are feeling cooped up due to social distancing, a virtual vacation might be just the thing you need.