Welcome to Episode 36 of the “More Than Books” Podcast! Named after the official Bellevue University Library newsletter, each episode features library staff members discussing a topic related to literature, libraries, technology, pop culture, and more. Now available on iTunes!
Description: Welcome to the More Than Books Podcast! In this episode Joel and Colin discuss the rise of open access academic publishing and what it means for universities and traditional publishing companies. Approached primarily from a library perspective, they also discuss the pros and cons associated with this rapidly growing publishing trend.
Intro – “Fade Away” from the Better Way by LM
Outro – “Can’t Stop Me” from Feeding the Lions EP by ProleteR
- The Guardian: Paywalls block scientific progress
- University Affairs: How the open access model hurts academics in poorer countries
- MIT News: Open access task force releases draft recommendations
- Forbes: Highly Profitable Medical Journal Says Open Access Publishing Has Failed
- Nature.com: The undercover academic keeping tabs on predatory publishing
- University World News: Why Beall’s blacklist of predatory journals died
- Inside Higher Ed: France Preserves Big Deal With Elsevier
- Cabells Blacklist Criteria v 1.1
The views and opinions discussed within the “More Than Books” Podcast do not necessarily represent those of the Bellevue University Library or Bellevue University as a whole.