Holidays are a special time when family members gather together to celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the New Year, and everything else in-between. Many families have their own unique traditions and that is what “Family Stories Month” is all about—sharing those stories with family and friends. “Family Stories Month” happens every November, which conveniently follows “Family History Month” in October. Therefore, now is an excellent time to listen and record stories to preserve them for the next generations to come.
This is the perfect opportunity to gain insight to your family’s history and to keep those memories alive. You can start by asking family members to share their favorite story from their childhood or even share stories of what is happening in your life today. There are several possibilities to obtain information, such as, family dinners, family movie night or game night or even family reunions. Here are some tips to help facilitate discussions:
- Prepare a list of questions to ask ahead of time
- Provide everyone with the questions prior to the gathering so people are ready to share their experiences
- Suggest family members write their memories out in story form
- Offer to compile a book to capture the stories
- Welcome all stories even if they are similar because they may be different depending on whose perspective the story is being told from
Stories are valuable and important to be passed down from generation to generation. So this holiday season, enjoy time with family and make more stories to share and preserve. Everyone has a story to tell and this is the perfect month to tell and re-tell them. Here are some websites that can help get you started:
Why not start now and share your story here..