Tired of the same old dull routine? Well, you are in luck!!! July is “Anti-Boredom Month.” How this came to be is unknown; however, it is believed to have derived from a spoof organization which satirized the media with their annual list of the most boring films of the year. Nevertheless, boredom is a real condition that can strike at any time. There are many misconceptions related to boredom; such as, boredom is multi-faceted, boredom can be alarming, boredom is a stress state, and boredom is a relatively new concept. What people do not realize is that every one of us has a natural weapon at their disposal—creativity. We all have the ability to turn new and imaginative ideas into reality. Research shows that you will be less likely to feel bored when you are active; therefore, here are a few suggestions to make the month less boring:
- Try a new hobby – scrapbooking, sewing, woodworking, knitting
- Physical action – kickboxing, indoor rock climbing, yoga, or hiking.
- Discover the outdoors – camping, boating, nature walks
- Explore your community – farmer’s market, festivals, volunteer work, visit your local library
- Learn something new – career skill, new sport, reading
- Family time – classic board games, vacation
If you are feeling inspired and would like to explore more ways to fight the boredom blues, check out these resources — there’s something for everyone:
The goal is to remain entertained. George Harrison once quoted “The Beatles saved the world from boredom.” Whether that is true or not, the Beatles certainly made the 60’s more lively. So find something today to liven up your day.