National Relaxation Day is observed annually on August 15th. It is a time to slow down, unwind, and relax! Sundays used to be reserved for this day, but in today’s busy world, even that day is filled with sports activities and things we couldn’t fit in during the week.
Sean Moeller founded National Relaxation Day in 1985 as a fourth-grader. In an interview with Valerie Monson in The Des Moines Register, Sean suggested that people shouldn’t do anything of real value on this day.
Here are the top ten ideas to enjoy on Relaxation Day:
- Do nothing today.
- Go to a Spa.
- Go fishing.
- Play a round of golf (caution: not always relaxing).
- Lounge around in a hammock.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Spend the day at the beach.
- Go to the movies.
- Do a little gardening.
- Have a picnic in the park.
The benefits of relaxation are many. Here are just a few:
- Slowing your heart rate
- Lowering your blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Reducing your need for oxygen
- Increasing blood flow to major muscles
- Reducing muscle tension
So, pick one of the activities listed above or find a book or journal from our library and visit a relaxing place to read it.